Internship in Process Engineering (m/f/d) - 6 months
- Realize overall capacity increase of current batch operation.
- Identify easy-to-implement options to increase productivity.
- Demonstrate process simulation as effective tool for process improvements.
- Use mathematical modeling as suitable approach to achieve better process understanding.
- In this role you will have the opportunity to work on modelling and simulation of an industrial batch (condensation) reaction.
- You will prepare the necessary physical property data base such as vapour pressures, vapour-liquid and liquid-liquid equilibria.
- You will develop a suitable reactor model with the rigorous batch distillation model "BatchSep" in Aspen Plus.
- You will build a realistic sequence of operational steps in a batch reactor with separation column and decanter to mimic current production.
- You will validate the simulation model against observed batch reaction data over the full cycle time.
- You will contribute to identify the preferred operation of the batch reaction and azeotropic water removal with respect to productivity.
- You will optimize the charge of material strategy with respect to sequence and preheating.
- You will investigate an acceleration of the distillation (flooding approach in separation column).
- You will refine the available chemical reaction rate data (rate constants incl. temperature dependence) using plant data.
- You will recognize the most promising improvement opportunities for the batch reactors with respect to increased capacity.
- You will propose and perform plant trials in close cooperation with production to confirm the most promising and feasible alternatives.
- Master's degree in Process Engineering or Chemical Engineering (or enrolled in final semester).
- Fundamental theoretical chemical engineering knowledge and introductory knowledge of chemical process equipment would be desired.
- Previous experience with application of theory in practice is an advantage.
- Sound knowledge and experience in process modelling and simulation.
- Familiar with simulation software and batch distillation in particular, ideally with "BatchSep" and Aspen Plus.
- Eager to translate simulation results into improvements for enhanced productivity.
- Fluency in German with reasonable spoken and written English (or vice versa).
- Motivated to work in a chemical production environment
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
What we offer:
We offer a variety of benefits including:
- Gain expertise in chemical industry and learn about organization and process plants.
- Play vital role in the process improvement process while presenting results to international panels.
- We respect each other and work together as equals.
- We offer an open and pleasant working atmosphere where new ideas are always welcome.
- With your work you can make an important contribution to people's food security and work in a stimulating and international environment. #bringingplantpotentialtolife
Interested? We look forward to receiving your online application including all relevant documents (cover letter, CV, diploma, certificates) - reference number 18041543.
Please be aware that the job title may differ from the position title.
Did you know? Syngenta has been ranked as a top employer by Science Journal.
Learn more about our team and our mission.
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.